Sunday, December 23, 2007

Similan Live-aboard

The Similan islands have some of Thailand's best diving. The only way to get there is via 2-3 hours in a boat form Khao Lak. So you can either make a really, really long day trip or do a liveaboard trip for several days (a liveaboard is when you stay on a dive boat for a number of days and do 3-4 dives per day). I'd never spent more than a few hours on a boat at any one time, but thought that the experience sounded interesting. I signed myself up for 3 days and 2 nights on the "backpacker" (i.e. budget) boat.

The trip turned out to be a fantastic experience. The dives were really good and I enjoy living on the boat (a bit like aquatic indoor camping..click here for a little background on the concept of indoor camping). The vessel was quite small and simple, but the ambiance was was really friendly and familial. My fellow divers were a great bunch, and we had a fantastic time together.

The small boat made of a unique summer camp-like atmosphere, but when the waves kicked up, the seasickness factor skyrocketed and moving from lower deck to the sleeping area was an all-fours-grab-what-you-can-and-hold-on-for-dear-life-adventure (honestly, I'm a little surprised that no one fell overboard). Every time I heard one of my compatriots scramble downstairs to feed the fish, I thanked my lucky stars that I hadn't inherited my dad's motion sickness tendencies.

During the trip I logged my 50th dive. Most of my accomplishments during this year of travel have been of the personal growth variety, but learning to dive and becoming a proficient diver has been a measurable feat. Though small, perhaps it is a tangible example of greater things afoot.

-Julia


Home, sweet home on the boat


Donald Duck Bay


Similan islands


Checking out the islands between dives


Andaman Sea


Hmmmm....perhaps I should back away from this cliff


Sonja, one of my compatriots, climbing the boulders


Squeezing between the rocks


The view from our dive boat


A turtle, checking out our boat


Dive briefing


Nap-time between dives


Returning to Khao Lak harbor

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I really need to have or to share this all in one site.It has a total package that you are longing to look for great idea with it and very interesting details ..GOOD JOB for that!

Diving In Phuket | Snorkeling In Phuket

Unknown said...

The information provided on this blog is very important for us. One should be aware of all these things. Keep sharing in future.

Diving In Phuket | Snorkeling In Phuket