Friday, September 28, 2007

China Beach

After my trials and tribulations in Hoi An, China beach was exactly what I needed. When I got the sledge-hammer-outside-my-door wake up call, I knew that it was time to move on. I'd booked a fight from Da Nang to Saigon, so I decided to head up towards Da Nang, to China beach, for one day before flying out.

I'd heard rave reviews about a little guesthouse called Hoa's place and decided to check it out. It was perfect. Very basic accommodations, but the owner (who speaks near perfect English) and his wife were so kind, trusting and open to talking about life in Vietnam. Oh yes, and the food was fantastic...best spring rolls I've ever had.

Their place was also just a short walk from China beach, the famed beach where American soldiers enjoyed a little R&R during the Vietnam war. The area is little more than a fishing village, and there were only a handful of other tourists in the area. The beach was nice, but very windy and the water was a bit too rough for swimming. Not a big deal though...I wasn't there looking for a beach, I was there for something else. I was pretty wound-up after Hoi An, and it was great to have a truely relaxing day. If I hadn't had made that flight reservation, I would have stayed a little longer.


-Julia



China Beach


Hoa's Place


Local kids putting on a show for the foreigners


Road to Da Nang

No comments: