Thursday, September 13, 2007

Trekking in Sapa

After parting ways with Dean, Marcos, Snoopy and Richard, I decided to head up to Sapa for a couple of days of trekking. Billy and I didn't have a chance to do any trekking in Thailand or Laos, and I really wanted to see the hill tribe villages, so this was a perfect opportunity.

Sapa is in the very far northern part of Vietnam, only a couple of kilometers from the Chinese border. The inhabitants there are a mix of Hill tribe people (Hmong and Dzao are just two of the ethnic minority tribes represented in the area) and Vietnamese who have moved to the area. Sapa is (relatively speaking) cold and damp, but the weather is perfect for hiking and after some days of serious heat in Hanoi and Halong Bay, it was a pleasant change. The city itself was a sleepy little place set on the slopes of the mountains: picturesque and very tranquil...an excellent place to relax for a few days.

The treks were great. During the first day of trekking, I hiked with a local Hmong guide named Lulu. Her English was pretty good, so I had the chance to ask her about what it's like to be a young woman in an ethnic minority village in Vietnam. She's 18, almost past marriage age, and happy to be independent and working as a trekking guide to support herself. It sounded to me like life changes dramatically for a Hmong girl when she gets married.

My detour to Sapa was the first time, since Billy flew home, that I've actually been on my own for several consecutive days. I'm a pretty social person, so before I stared traveling solo, I was a little nervous about feeling lonely during these times. Surprisingly, I enjoyed the time by myself. It was nice to be alone for a few days to relax and clear my head. Don't get me wrong, I haven't become an introvert, but I was surprised at how calming it was to just be alone for a while.

-Julia


Sapa countryside


Landslide on the road to Sapa


Sapa market


Home-made indigo dye used to color cloth


The family water buffalo taking a nap on the porch


Sapa village


Local boys


Feeling like a bit of a giant standing next to my guide, Lulu


Yes, I actually climbed down that (and-miracle of all miracles-managed not to slip and fall)


drying tree bark to make incense


If you want to see more photos of Sapa, check out the link to my Picasa web album.

No comments: