Friday, October 12, 2007

4000 Islands

If you are in need of somewhere quiet, peaceful and tranquil that also has good food and friendly locals, head directly for the 4000 islands region of Southern Laos. This is where the Mekong river splits up and flows around thousands of islands (hence the name). It's the perfect setting for several days of R&R.

I was still traveling with my kiwi travel buddy, Phil, who I met in Vietnam. The two of us landed in Don Kong and met up with Hendrik, a friend I had also previously met in Vietnam. The 3 of us took boat tour of the surrounding islands, relaxed, and soaked up the chilled out atmosphere that is Laos. Hendrik and I decided to get ambitions and rented bikes to ride around part of the island. Through some erroneous navigation, we ended up riding around the entire island (a 50km loop). It took all morning to complete the trip, but the views were fantastic, so it was definitely worth the extra effort.

Returning to Laos also meant enjoying my favorite Lao dishes once again. A ma officially addicted to Laap (minced pork or chicken with onions, chilies, lime and mint. Add a little sticky rice to the equation, and I'm in heaven.

-Julia


A storm rolls towards the Mekong


Schoolkids in front of a French colonial building, Don Det island


Train Engine left by the French, Don Det island


Hendrik and Phil strolling around Don Det island (my cheap Vietnamese sandals bit the dust as I was taking this shot, yet another pair of sandals falls victim to my fierce toe gripping)


4000 islands


The most patient and understanding cat, ever


Phil enjoys some street meat


Hendrik digs into some sticky rice on the bus

No comments: