Friday, October 5, 2007

Back to PP and some thoughts on Cambodia

Between the beach and Siem Reap, Dave, Phil and I spent a day in Phnom Penh. Since we were only planning to spend one day in the city, there wasn't enough time to wash my backpack or clothes, so I resigned myself to the fact that I smelled like a walking seafood market, but was going to see some of the sights anyway.

I set out to visit the Killing Fields and the S-21 prison museum. I won't go into too much detail about S-21 and the Killing Fields because it was quite intense, very depressing and I'm sure that I won't be able to accurately communicate the history surrounding Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge regime. You can check out this website if you would like to learn more about Cambodia's tragic history: http://www.yale.edu/cgp/ Fascinating but also quite disturbing.

By the time I arrived in Phnom Penh, I had been in Cambodia for almost a week; I was starting to understand my surroundings and beginning to formulating some thoughts about the country. When I crossed the border from Vietnam, I was really struck by all of the contrasts in Cambodia. The countryside is dotted with simple one-room wooden dwellings, while Phnom Penh has a surprising number of huge walled compounds, who's owners zip around town in Lexus SUVs (I've seen more Lexus SUVs in Phnom Penh in one day, than I've ever seen in Los Angeles, no kidding). The poverty and effects of the civil war are everywhere: small children in filthy clothes try to sell you books and handmade jewelry, and landmine victims are camped out on every corner begging for a few riels. Yet among all of this darkness, the Cambodian people truly shine through. They are so kind, patient and most of them seem happy despite their surroundings. I was also impressed by how well everyone speaks English, and how patient they are with teaching basic Khmer to foreign visitors. Virtually all of the locals that I met during my first few days in Cambodia, work all day and then take classes (English classes or business courses) in the evenings. Their efforts to put their past behind them and make a better life for themselves is impressive.

-Julia



Road to the killing fields


Khmer statement about the genocide committed by the Khmer Rouge regime


Mass grave at the Killing Fields


S-21 Prison


Torture room at S-21


Outskirts of Phnom Penh


Cambodian people's party signs along the road

No comments: