Monday, November 5, 2007

Excursion #1 Filipino style

The hostel in Manila was an absolute goldmine of travel information. Not only was the owner a Philippines travel expert, but the country is subject to a hub-and-spoke travel infrastructure, so there were plenty of travelers returning from trips to various locations. Everyone seemed to be buzzing about Palawan, so I connected with another traveler at the hostel, James, who also wanted to go to Palawan, and we started hatching our plan.

We took the ferry from Manila to Coron. This 12-hour ferry ride was quite and experience and in its own way, a bit of a crash course in Filipino culture. We were two of four foreigners on a boat with several hundred passengers, so we got some inquisitive looks. I guess that most of the tourists opt for the airplane to Palawan.

One family in the bunks next to ours was very curious about us and with in seconds of dropping our bags, we were besieged by the kids, who seemed to be endlessly amused by, and insisted upon touching, my blond hair. Then, the mother requested several photo ops with the strange, tall, pale foreigners. I felt a bit like a circus attraction, but you know, it was all in good fun (sticking out has become a way of life for me since I started traveling, so it's not so shocking anymore).

Curious kids weren't our only companions on the ferry, we also had a small army of roosters on board. It only took me a couple of days in the Philippines to register that roosters (aka fighting cocks) are an integral part of life here (great if you like cockfights, bad if you are a light sleeper). The status of roosters was confirmed by the fact that they are the only animals allowed on ferries (before seeing eye dogs, mind you), and doubly confirmed by the number of proud owners milling about on the ferry's top deck, stroking and showing off their prized fighters. Quite a sight indeed.

Second only to roosters, is the importance of videoke (Filipino world for karaoke) in Filipino entertainment. No establishment is complete without a videoke machine, and you are guaranteed that it will be fired up once a few beers are consumed. Naturally, our ferry's cafeteria was equipped with its own videoke machine, disco lights and plenty of beer. I fell asleep in my bunk before the action got started, but fear not, I'm sure that I will be getting a healthy dose of videoke before I leave the Philippines.

-Julia


Leaving Manila


My bunk...I actually slept the whole night


Manila's port


Curious neighbors


Roosters in transit


First glimpses of Palawan


Arrival in Coron

No comments: