Monday, November 5, 2007

Ko Chang

After some time in Bangkok, I was ready for a break. Several people along the way had recommended Ko Chang, and island off the east coast of Thailand, near the Cambodian border. I had a handful days up my sleeve, so I decided to check it out.

Honestly, I don't have a whole lot to say about Ko Chang. It wasn't my favorite destination to date, but was a pleasant diversion from Bangkok. The theme for my entire experience seemed to be ok, but not amazing. The beaches were good, but not fantastic, the restaurants were decent, but somewhat overpriced, the water was warm, but murky and filled with jellyfish. Plus, Ko Chang seems to be a couple's destination, and these "couple's spots" can be a little lame if you are travelling solo. I do have to say that my perspective is pretty skewed. I've spent the last 7 months traveling in some truly amazing places. Perhaps if I were on a 2-week vacation, and Ko Chang was my first stop in Asia, I would have been wowed. What can I say, I've been very spoiled by some magnificent places and am becoming a little picky these days.

The most memorable part of Ko Chang was meeting Roisin and Cathy, two young Irish travelers. Since I started traveling alone, I've had a difficult time connecting with other women. There are fewer female travelers than male travelers, and the women who I do meet are either traveling with a boyfriend/fiance/husband or traveling as a tight-knit pack of 2 to 4 girls (normally not so open to letting foreign newcomers into the fold). Back in the States, my girlfriends are an important part of my life, and through this travel experience, I've really gained a new appreciation for how important these relationship are to me. It was great to spend a few days paling around with two smart, articulate, fun, like-minded young women.

-Julia


Waiting for the ferry


....And the ferry arrives


Ko Chang from a distance


Fire dancer in Ko Chang


Roisin, chatting it up


White Sand Beach town


Ko Chang Beach


Beach side restaurant at night


Ko Chang's White Sand Beach

No comments: