Friday, May 28, 2010

Oregon: relaxed rainy days and a little firearms training with Uncle Chuck

After 2 weeks of packing up our apartment in SF, preparing to move to South Africa and saying goodbye, Chris and I headed up to Oregon to spend a few days with my family before launching off on our big journey together.

It was great to have some time to relax and decompress before our departure...and Oregon is the perfect place for a little chill-out time.

One of the highlights of our visit to Oregon was learning to "shoot stuff" with my Uncle Chuck. Neither Chris nor I have ever fired a gun before, and when my uncle found that out, he offered a firearms tutorial before our departure...you know, just in case we get charged by a lion (very unlikely), happen to be armed (even more unlikely) and need to defend ourselves. Chris was a natural and hit the targets 50% of the time. Me...not so much. The kickback on the shotgun definitely took me by surprise, and I was only slightly better with a rifle. Hmmm...I'll probably leave the shooting up to more experienced marksmen.

We also had a great time visiting with my Aunt Cheryl, Aunt Rachael and Uncle Norm in Salem. And with Uncle Reid and Tio Miguel in Portland.

Thanks so much to my mom and dad for hosting us in Oregon and for giving us a wonderful farewell! We'll miss you guys so much!

-Julia


Beautiful Oregon!


Hanging out by the river with uncle Chuck

Saying goodbye to mom

No comments: