Thursday, January 24, 2008

Cameron Highlands

After leaving Ko Lipe, Tania and I spent one evening in Southern Thai town of Hat Yi, before I headed further south into Malaysia and she flew to Bangkok. On my way to the Cameron highlands, I took a bus into Malaysia that was characteristically 30 minutes late to depart and 2 hour late in reaching the destination. I really need to stop being surprised when this happens.

I like Malaysia and was happy to return; the people are friendly and speak English pretty well, the food is good and things seem to be a bit more orderly than in Thailand. Malaysia is consistently underrated by travelers, but I think that it offers beautiful beaches, interesting cities and wild jungles without the crowds of Thailand. Don't get me wrong, Thailand is great too, and there is a reason that so many people go there, but I think that Malaysia deserves more attention than it gets.

The Cameron highlands hill station town of Tanah Rata was very quaint. I spent two days there hiking in the jungle, visiting tea/strawberry plantations and enjoying a respite from the heat in the temperate highland weather. I also visited an exhibit about Malaysian insects and reptiles, which has basically convinced me that everything in the jungle is big, mean and can kill you quickly. I stayed at a great little hostel called Daniel's lodge, which had a hip, convivial traveler's vibe. There were tons of cool people and lots of things to see and do. If I had had a few more days up my sleeve, it would have been a nice place to chill out.

-Julia


Don't mess with these Malaysian beetles


Nothing like having a Cobra stare you down, I was thankful for the plexiglass that separated me from this guy


Jungle waterfall


La mantis religiosa


Butterflies


Tea farms blanketing the hills


Hanging flowers


Hill station home


It was quite an adventure hiking trough this, good thing there were no leeches


I think this pretty much sums it up

No comments: