Thursday, January 24, 2008

Kuala Lumpur...yet again

I was flying out of Kuala Lumpur to meet up with my family in Bali, and I wanted some time to decompress. I left the Cameron highlands with some days to spare and headed down to Kuala Lumpur. Truth be told, my last few days in Malaysia's capital city were pretty mellow. I really like KL, and this is my 3rd time here on this trip. I don't do a whole lot of sightseeing these days, after the umpteenth famous building or temple, things sort of start to blend together and lose their effect, so I just wanted to wander around and soak things in.

I met up for one day with Steffen, a friend I'd met in Thailand. We went to the Badu Caves and then spent the afternoon walking around KL. I know that I've just gone on a little rant about sights, but the Badu caves were actually cool. As far as sights go, the caves were pretty interesting and like nothing else I've seen on my trip.

KL marked the end of my solo travels. It has been an interesting road: sometimes good, sometimes tough, but I'm really happy that I decided to extend my trip and travel alone. When I think back on the last 4 months, it's the people who immediately come to mind. Everyone I've met along the way has shaped my experience and taught me something. As the details of the places start to fade in my mind, the faces, the smiles and the stories remain.

-Julia



Kuala Lumpur lightrail station


Central Kuala Lumpur: traditional buildings and modern skyscrapers


Entrance to the Badu Caves


Hundreds of steep steps leading to the caves


Taking a breather halfway up the steps


Shrines within the caves


Temple outside the caves


Monsoon rains in Central KL


Minaret of the national mosque


Kuala Lumpur at night

1 comment: